Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Boob Job


There are boobs and there are jobs. At some jobs there are boobs. At my particular workplace there are three boobs that currently matter. Two are mine and they need to be pumped every 3 hours for mine and my child's health and happiness. The other is the Human Resources Manager - she is a real BOOB. I have asked her repeatedly for a place to pump. My request has been simple and my needs moderate - a private room, an electrical outlet, a table (or even a box) and one chair. I started work on Monday and nothing...Tuesday, nothing. Tuesday I was informed that someone needed to use the room they were going to let me use so I would have to use the conference room (thats right, the conference room with all those windows, especially the floor to ceiling window overlooking the lobby; yes the conference room that i'll be kicked out of each time there is a meeting). Before learning of this however the HR Manager called me "haughty" and "out-of-line" for reminding her how important this decision was for me and that it wasn't an option - I will continue to breastfeed. In a tone that I still cannot believe, she told me she didn't care about my decision. She didn't care because she doesn't have children and my decision doesn't mean anything to her. Thats right folks, you heard me. The HR Manager said she didn't care about my decision. I'm not asking her to care about my decision but I am asking her to care about one of her employees' needs (isn't that her job?).

2 comments:

Grammy said...

sounds like something la leche league would be all over

Unknown said...

Isn't it the law that your employer must provide you with a secure, clean, private space to pump? I'll look it up tomorrow, but if memory serves...