Thursday, September 10, 2009

Life and stuff

I know that i am a better mother because i work.
I would probably be very frustrated and frazzled if i didn't work and stayed at home with Cash. I like to work and I am very good at my job and really like to know that we have money in the bank if we want to go out to dinner or if we want to fly to see our family but sometimes i get really jealous of other stay at home moms. I think its a classic case of "the grass is always greener". Almost every one of my high school and college friends who have babies is a SAHM. There are a bunch of ladies in my neighborhood who are SAHMs. The problem is I find myself having a really hard time relating to them. We spend a lot of time outside in the evenings now that the weather is cooling off and Cash is much more mobile and social. We run into Devin and Riley and Jack almost every night. Their moms talk about meeting up at the park at 10am the next day or going to the play gym on Tuesday's at noon and i just have to pack my baby off to daycare each day. They always try to include me but i must decline.
I tell myself that I am going to take a day off each month to do these things with Cash but there is never a good time - and frankly the corporate culture at my business is not one that fosters personal time off. I wont be in this job forever and maybe my next job will allow for more time with my children. I think i do a pretty good job at quality time when i am home at night and on weekends. I think i'm just missing Cash right now because i've been working much longer hours lately. And because he is making such developmental strides that i want to be around to see everything.

1 comment:

sarah d v said...

I hear you. Grass is greener. I feel like a bad mother for saying so, but I wish I were working. Lots of thoughts on this topic, but there's no great solution. And it's very individual to each mom.