Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cooper is here!

Today is Cooper's birthday. He's a super cute bundle of joy and we're getting to know each other right now. Here is my account of the day.

The surgery was changed from noon to 9:30 so we had a bit of an early wake up call this morning. We got up at about 6am and got dressed and ready to go. out the door by 7:15 and to the hospital by 7:30 to check in. Everything wen't quickly after we got there. It was super quiet up on the labor and delivery floor so that was nice and we got a lot of attention. I got dressed in my gown and hooked up to monitors, gave blood, answered a ton of questions and then waited for the time to pass. Mom stayed home with Cash until the Martins arrived to take over. She got to the hospital at about 9am. Only one guest was allowed in the operating room so unfortunately she had to stay in the room and just wait. (which is probably better after you read the rest of this story).

We wheeled into the operating room and Chandler had to stay outside so I could get my spinal. I really didn't like the procedures at this new hospital because it was all so different than the last time - which was a really good experience. So the anesthesiologist set me up on the bed and told me the gameplan and then i had to get the actual needle in my back. I didn't remember this hurting so bad. He shot me and i jumped about a mile in the air but he hit the right spot and i was getting numb fast. I laid down on the bed and they continued the set up. I got an oxygen mask and then things started to go downhill fast. Chandler wasn't in the room and i started to panic a little because i was having a bit of a hard time breathing through the mask and was starting to get nauseus. I asked the anesthesiologist to take the mask off and he put a tube in my nose instead. That was better but i was still feeling sick. The spinal makes it hard to cough and get sick so you just have to wait for the vomit to come up instead of coughing it up. So eventually it came up and i got sick a bit. I also got medication for the nausea and started to feel better quickly. Chandler came in and so did the doctors. A fun surprise was that both Dr.s Roberts showed up to deliver Cooper! that was cool because they are such good people. We got started knowing that there was going to be a little extra work on my scar which was a keloid. Cooper came out at 9:49am. Dr. Lisa was pretty concerned because my lower uterine segment was extremely thin and she recognized that i had probably been contracting for a couple weeks. She said, "we should have done this last week" and I agreed! I guess the risk was that i could have ruptured and hemoraged but thankfully i didn't. They had a lot of work to do getting my uterus put back together since it was so thin and used a lot of tools and even something that was compared to spackle! They repaired my scar and finally got me put back together after an hour.
I was wheeled back to my room and waited for Cooper to come back from the nursery. He was getting washed up, checked, monitored, warmed up and vaccinated. We reunited after a while and it was pretty sweet.
Cooper has taken to nursing very well and we didn't have any problems getting him in the mood (with Cash we had to harass him a lot). He has had a lot of dirty and wet diapers so we know the plumbing is working. He sleeps a lot but that is to be expected.

No comments: