Wednesday, March 31, 2010

workplace flexibility

I watched an amazing forum on workplace flexibility streaming live from the White House today. www.workplaceflexibility2010.org. I am so impressed with the Obamas that they have made this a priority. Mrs. Obama talked very openly about how important this was for her and why she put together this special group of leaders to make working an easier thing for parents and family members. Two working parents is quickly becoming a necessity for so many families - and if you are a single working parent flexibility is a MUST. And it isn't all about parent/child relationships - although that is the biggest motivator behind this - it also talked about caring for elderly parents and special needs family members.
Now more than ever I wish I had a job that had more flexibility. As i think more about it however i realize that i just want less work. I asked about working less and the response was something about restructuring my compensation (aka get paid less). i wonder if i just up and quit if they would beg me to stay and i could "restructure" on my terms. I guess i would have to be serious about not having a job because around here "we are lucky to have our jobs." (at least that is what we are told at least weekly).
When is someone going to knock on my door and offer me a new job (in NC!) that makes a decent amount of money and gives me the opportunity to be with my boys more? oh yeah, and offer to buy my house from me? that happens doesn't it?

No comments: